Tuesday, May 8, 2007

On political humor


From: Laurence Shandy
To: Nicole Hunter, reporter, KUTV-Salt Lake City
Re: Satire

Dear Ms. Hunter,

I recently watched your excellent piece of satirical faux-journalism on the "retarded" boy who dresses up as President Bush and sings the Star Spangled Banner at his bathroom mirror. I've not seen as edgy and incisive a comedic presentation since Swift's Modest Proposal.
Not only do you comment on the seeming mental disability of those who would still support the president after the lies leading up to the war in Iraq, the Valerie Plame scandal, Abu Ghraib, U.S. attorney firings, attacks on civil liberties, and his inability to navigate the English language, but you also dangerously skirt the public's delightfully shameful instinct to laugh at the retarded.

Your creation of this "retarded" character is nothing short of genius. Sure, anyone can slap some makeup on a guy and make him appear to have Down syndrome, but only you could have thought to dress him in those goofy ties.

And to name him Brigham! You're right, only the water-brained and those who believe in golden tablets that tell of a Conan the Barbarian scenario in pre-European invasion America could possibly be Bushies these days. In fact, what's the difference between Mormons and the retarded? At least the retarded have an excuse!

Best wishes,
Laurence Shandy, gentleman

(Letters from Shandy readers, watch the video here.)


RESPONSE
From: Nicole Hunter, reporter, KUTV-Salt Lake City
To: Laurence Shandy
Re: Satire

Wow.
I have to say that of all the offensive emails I have received this one may top it off. I believe I feel that way because instead of attacking me personally you are attacking a wonderful man who has a special talent and despite opinions from people such as yourself has maintained a very outgoing personality and a general feeling that he is not only capable of doing great things but is actually doing them. The audacity of suggesting that I would 'create' a 'character' to bash 'retards,' the President and Mormons? Wow. You may sign your email 'gentleman' but this email suggests you are anything but.

May you find peace and a better understanding and acceptance of the wonderful people in this world...

Nicole Hunter


REBUTTAL
From: Laurence Shandy
To: Nicole Hunter, reporter, KUTV-Salt Lake City
Re: Satire

Dear Ms. Hunter,

Laurence Shandy here.

Okay, I'll play along. No need for anyone to see the man (or in this case, the stunningly beautiful cub reporter) behind the curtain. So, this "retarded" "man" is "real", eh? Fair enough.

Still, I can't imagine the offense you've taken to my letter can in any way compare to the offense I've taken at your misinterpretation of my kudos. Indeed, I'm not suggesting you are poking fun at the mentally disabled. Jerry Lewis, in his satirical telethon, may be lampooning the plight of the crippled, but I was congratulating you on the fact that your humor is far more cunning. I'm savvy enough to realize that you aren't ribbing any "actual" "retard", but are instead taking a stab at the Bush administration and its supporters.

I mean, let's assume your character is, in fact, "real". How would a local news broadcast depicting this retarded man dressing up as George W. Bush and singing the national anthem in front of his bathroom mirror in any way serve to make light of him? It wouldn't make sense!

Regardless, I'm glad you at least understood my admiration of your Mormon bashing. Still, by handing out free copies of the Book of Mormon, they're doing all the bashing themselves, am I right? That thing's less plausible than The Lord of the Rings!

Best wishes,
Laurence Shandy, gentleman

0 comments: